CMAT TU Entrance Exam Model – I – Verbal Ability
Section I: Verbal Ability
Direction: In the following, the questions choose the word which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
d. ExtolledShow Answer
a. Clever reply
d. EffectiveShow Answer
d. EconomicalShow Answer
Direction: Each sentence below consists of a word or a phrase that is bold. It is followed by four words or phrases. Select the word or phrase which is closed to the OPPOSITE in the meaning of the bold word or phrase.
6. We had a delectable meal yesterday.
d. niceShow Answer
7. Many people suffer setbacks in their careers because of their inherent
d. gravityShow Answer
8. What he tells me confirms my ideas.
9. Unsettled conditions in the land led to exodus of hundreds of its
10. Feasibility of the project is under study.
d. impracticabilityShow Answer
Direction: Pick out the most effective word(s) from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
11. You haven’t had your lunch yet,……. you?
d. haven’tShow Answer
12. The waiter hasn’t brought the coffee …… . I’ve been here an hour already.
13. …… the arrival of the police, nobody went near the victim.
d. TillShow Answer
14. Johnny, where are you? …… up this tree.
a. There I am
b. There am I
c. Here am I
d. Here I am
15. The boy was cured …… typhoid.
d. throughShow Answer
Direction: In the following questions four alternatives are given for the idiom/phrase italicized and underlined in the sentence. Choose the
alternative which best expresses the meaning of idiom/phrase.
16. He sold his house for a song.
a. at a reasonable price
b. at a discount
c. very cheaply
d. at a premium
17. The accounts of the murder made her flesh creep.
a. Made her sad
b. Surprised her
c. Made her cry bitterly
d. Fill her with horror
18. He went to his friend’s house in the evening as was his won’t.
a. as usual
b. as he wanted
c. as his want was
d. as he wanted that dayShow Answer
19. I ran out of money on my European tour.
a. exhausted my stock of
b. did not have enough
d. carried a lot
20. I have a bone to pick with you in this matter.
a. Am in agreement
b. Am angry
c. Am indebted
d. Will join handsShow Answer
Directions: Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow.
In the world today we make health and end in itself. We have forgotten that health is really a means to enable a person to do his work and do it well. A lot of modern medicine and this includes many patients as well as many physicians pays very little attention to health but very much attention to those who imagine that they are ill. Our great concern with health is shown by the medical columns in newspapers. The health articles in popular magazines and the popularity of television programs and all those books on medicine. We talk about health all the time. Yet for the most part, the only result is more people with an imaginary illness. The healthy man should not be wasting time talking about health: he should be using health for work. The work does the work that good health possible.